final-paraguay-logo1 
clear-space 
CrossBridgeLogo

 

MapGeography: Located in South America, Paraguay is a land-locked country about the size of the state of California, bordered by Bolivia to the north, Brazil to the east, and Argentina to the west and south.  The country is divided in half by the Paraguay River.  To the east of the river, there are grassy plains, wooded hills and tropical forests.  West of the river is the Chaco area, consisting of low, flat, marshy plains.

Population: 6,375,830.  The vast majority of the population lives in the eastern half of the country, with about 25% of the country’s population concentrated around the capital city of Asunción and its surrounding areas.

Peoples: Ninety-five percent of the population is of mixed Spanish and Indian (Native American) descent.  The other five percent consists of remaining native tribes and descendants of other foreign nationalities.

Languages: The official language is Spanish.  However, 90% of the population also speaks Guarani, the native Indian language, and in rural areas the majority of the population only speaks Guarani.

Economy: The majority of the economy is agriculture-based, with most exports consisting of soybeans, cereals, beef, cotton and tobacco.  There is a smaller, but growing, manufacturing and construction segment of the economy.  Paraguay imports almost all of its mineral fuels, manufactured goods, electronics and motor vehicles.

Religion: Over 96% of the population identify themselves as Roman Catholic; however, most are only nominally religious. The remaining 4% identify themselves with Protestant denominations.

Climate: Temperate/tropical.

Government: Constitutional Republic.

Read More:About Paraguay